- Malakwa is a small community located approximately 11 km (7 miles) east of Sicamous and around 60 km (38 miles) west of Revelstoke. The Trans Canada Highway runs right thru the heart of the community. Local industries around Malakwa are made up of: agriculture, small scale forest enterprises such as logging, shake mills, custom log home building, great restaurants, home based businesses and Bed and Breakfasts. If your looking for nature at its best, we have some of the finest snowmobile mountains in this region, There are wonderful areas to go hiking, camping, biking hunting and fishing. From rugged mountains to lush forests, tumbling waterfalls, to relaxing by the tranquil Eagle River this is a photographer's paradise, an outdoorsman's dream. Malakwa is home to many animals and birds . You may see: moose, white tail and mule deer, grizzlies, black bear, wolves, coyotes, bald eagles, king fishers, swans and many more different animal and bird species. Malakwa sits in the beautiful valley bottom with the Eagle River meandering through it.
- The Eagle River starts high in the Monashee Mountains near 3 Valley Gap, flows thru Malakwa and serpentines west on its way to the Shuswap Lake at Sicamous. The Eagle River is very popular for locals and tourists alike, whether you want to go canoeing, boating, tubing, swimming or fishing this beautiful river can offer you an enjoyable scenic environment to relax and have fun in or on its mountain cool waters. Yard Creek flows into the Eagle River this creek is famous for an annual Salmon Run that occurs usually in late September.
- Take a relaxing walk on the Malakwa Suspension Bridge, this unique bridge spans the Eagle River. The bridge was originally built in 1915 to connect the farmers with the local community and school system. The Suspension Bridge was later rebuilt to better standards in 1940 by the Ministry of Highways. The bridge is maintained throughout the year, in the winter it is kept clear of snow and used regularly. It has a launching area for canoeists. Floating down the Eagle River from this point you can head west and stop at Cedars Campground or continue on to Sicamous for a complete day trip, bring your picnic lunch and stop along one of the many sandy banks and breathe in the fresh mountain air.
- Yard Creek Provincial Park is situated 4 km (2.5 miles) south of Malakwa on the Trans Canada Highway. This Regional Park offers quiet, shady camping. A pleasant place to camp or even base camp when exploring the Shuswap area. Yard Creek invites the brave individual into its icy cold waters on a hot summer day.
- Malakwa High Speed Internet - We now offer and install High Speed Internet in the surrounding Malakwa area. No more endless wait times while you down load on dial up. For pricing and more information call Lawrence Rae at 836-2424.
- Television and Radio Repeater - We have maintained a television presence in the valley for many years. Initially installed by the Farmers Institute the antennas and repeaters have been revamped several times since then at substantial cost to the community. We have overcome the clashes between local forestry and communication providers, but we have also received some generous help from time to time from individuals who appreciate our efforts and the signals they receive. Due to lack of local radio signals in several areas of the valley we are pursuing a new radio service that will provide a variety of stations for your listening pleasure.
- Special Needs Fund - We still have a "Special Needs Fund" that provides assistance to children in health and education. Special purchases have been made to the school and we have helped with medical devices and testing for our children. This fund is solely dependent upon specific donations made through the Malakwa Community Centre Association.
- The Association also operates the local recycling bins and maintains the Yard Creek Campground and Malakwa Centenial park facilities.
- The Community Hall is currently unavailable for use as it is being renovated at this time. The Malakwa Learning Center has rooms and a gymnasium available that may be rented for entertainment, meetings and events. The gymnasium is also provided free of charge for funerals. Contact Rhona for availability and details about the Center (250)836-4509.
MUSIC IN THE PARK
(6-Jun-2014 12:09 pm)
Saturday August 23, 2014, in the Malakwa Ball Park. Live music all day, gates open at noon, co...
Volunteer Income Tax Preparation Program
(1-Apr-2014 04:26 pm)
The Eagle Valley Community Centre - Volunteer Income Tax Preparation Program. This program off...
- Music in the Park
Malakwa Ball Park
station rd., Malakwa BC
Sat Aug 23, `14 , 12:00 pm - 11:00 pm